Public speaking refers to any live presentation or speech. It can cover a variety of topics on various fields and careers (you can find out more about public speaking careers here: http://orai.com/public-speaking-careers/). Public speaking can inform, entertain, or educate an audience and sometimes has visual aids.
Public speaking is done live, so the speakers need to consider certain factors to deliver a successful speech. No matter how good the speech is, if the audience doesn’t connect with the speaker, then it may fall flat. Therefore, speakers have to use a lot more nonverbal communication techniques to deliver their message.
Tips for public speaking
- Have a sense of humor.
- Tell personal stories that relate to the speech you’re giving.
- Dress appropriately for the event. Formal and business casual outfits work best.
- Project a confident and expressive voice.
- Always try to use simple language that everyone can understand.
- Stick to the time given to you.
- Maintain eye contact with members of your audience and try to connect with them.