The art of speaking involves the process in creating and presenting speeches to an audience. Public speaking concerns a lot more than the actual speaking aspect, and it takes a lot of work to turn out that perfect speech. A 15-minute speech can take hours to prepare and perfect.
You can be called to speak at any time, so you always have to be prepared. The art of speaking goes beyond professional purposes to huge crowds. Even informal events can require you to give a speech, so why wait to learn?
Tips for mastering the art of speaking
- Practice your speech several times before the presentation; preferably in front of a mirror
- Know your audience and environment. You don’t want to approach the audience in a way that doesn’t appeal to them
- Be confident in your speech. Act like you know what you’re talking about, and make sure you do
- Perfect your speaking voice. Your cadence, pace, and enunciation can help you deliver the perfect speech
- Be as concise as possible. If you have 15 minutes to speak, don’t spend even one minute more. Condense your speech to short sentences, so you don’t bore your audience.
- Your speech needs to be clear and unambiguous